Hi, has anyone noticed any voice weakening or trembling when talking? Kinda like a quivering feeling while talking.  Curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not an unusual progression from the Essential Tremor that many PPSers have.

I have never heard the term Essential Tremor before, could you tell me what that is?   Thanks!

It's "the shakes".  Often mistaken for Parkinson's tremor by the uninitiated, but they're quite different.  ET is often hereditary and will first appear around puberty, getting worse as you age.  With Polio it exhibits a similar progression.

ET is an "intention" tremor -- not that you intend to do it, but that the shakes get worse the more you try to hold still.  Walk with a cup of hot coffee and you'll notice your hand shaking and as you try to hold steady it gets worse and the coffee sloshes out.  Parkinson's tremor, on the other hand, is more obvious at rest, and one can usually hold steady if one tries.

Other than the obvious problems of embarrassment and not being able to thread a needle, the condition is harmless and only occasionally progresses to more severe movement disorders.

I don't seem to have Essential Tremor but I do have voice weakening.  I assume it is part of the Polio aftermath.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, most of the time, I sound like I have a 
"frog" in my throat. People are all the time asking me if I have a cold. At times, it is worse than others. I get choked a lot when I eat. I'm not overweight because I have a fear of choking to death.

I have the "shakes" a lot also. At times, when I try to read, my hands shake my book so much that I have to stop.

You probably should see a doc (maybe starting with an ENT) and have things checked out.  The choking is reason to be concerned -- while not unheard of in PPSers, it's outside the norm.

If I am really tired, I can barely get a breath to talk, and it is very raspy.

I also have times when my voice is less than optimum. I am a retired speech/language pathologist as well as a polio survivor. I am probably more aware of voice variations than the general public. When I was still working in the public schools, I noticed that by mid afternoon I was experiencing hoarseness and a 'tired voice.' The problem of hoarseness has not been the result of vocal abuse (vocal nodules- calluses on the vocal chords). I believe that the  majority of my weakness is due to poor breath support and weakened musculature. I notice this most when I sing. I have discovered that most people don't notice my voice changes as much as I do. If I need to speak in public, I request a microphone so that I can use a softer, easier voice and not cause additional stress to my voice. Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages if you are experiencing a weak voice. Drink plenty of water. Avoid throat clearing since this causes greater stress on the larynx and can increase hoarseness. There is a technique that speech/language pathologists teach to voice patients called the 'silent cough' to avoid damaging the vocal folds.  You may want to research Speech/language Pathologists in your area and can find that information on line with The American Speech/Language Hearing Association. They also have information for the general public about communication problems across life stages. 

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Spread the word about PolioToday.org

Post a flyer: You can let others know about PolioToday.org by downloading this flyer and posting it on a local bulletin board and/or bringing it to your local PPS support group.

Invite your friends: You can easily send out email invitations to join PolioToday.org

© 2017   Created by Salk Institute.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service