Pain Medication or Muscle Relaxers for Severe Muscle Spasms

I'm curious as to what others who have PPS use to manage their pain and/or muscle spasms.  I use generic Soma and it helps a lot with the spasms.  I don't have any side effects such as being dizzy or any stomach issues.  I take minimum dosage.  What do you take, if anything, and what side effects do you experience? 

Views: 752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I,ve been on 2mg Diazepam , Can make you tired but it seems to be the usual option in the UK .

I thankfully don't get much in the way of pain/spasms.  What I used to get seems to be controlled pretty well by D-ribose.

Hi, I take Flexiral, 10 mg. I take one when i am in lots of pain. However they do make me really sleepy so i take it at night. That's really the only side effect I do experience..

I was first on Prozac and when that wasn't helping much I went to 60 mg of Cymbalta.  After about 3 years on that med I was no longer getting relief, so I stopped using it when my prescription ran out.  Wow!  That was a mistake,  I went through severe Cymbalta Withdrawal Syndrome that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Nightmares, dizziness, confusion, nausea, stomach problems.  This lasted for about 2 weeks and I am just now feeling somewhat normal.  I went back on Prozac 20 mg to help with the withdrawal and hopefully help with the leg pain that I experience.  I hope this helps.

Yeah, with many antidepressants you should not stop them abruptly -- it's always wise to check with your doc.

(For minor leg pain at night I find that just getting my legs warm enough is the ticket.)

Can you give more info on " Generic Soma " I,m in the UK and have not heard of this before . ,thanks .

Wikipedia: "Carisoprodol is a centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxant. It is slightly soluble in water and freely soluble in alcohol, chloroform and acetone. The drug's solubility is practically independent of pH. Carisoprodol is manufactured and marketed in the United States by Meda Pharmaceuticals under the brand name Soma, and in the United Kingdom and other countries under the brand names Sanoma and Carisoma. The drug is available by itself or mixed with aspirin, and in one preparation with codeine and caffeine, as well."

The drug is a controlled substance in the US and is banned in several European countries, due to its potential for abuse.

Thanks Dan , do you know if it,s available in the UK ?

Don't know.

OK.

I read with interest what some of the advice that was given.  I try to stay away from medications as much as possible.  Currently I use a very low dose of Melatonin.  My doctor recommended I use Melatonin to help with sleeplessness during the night.  The side affect is I have almost completely stopped jerking and twitching when going to sleep.  Before the Melatonin I had to lay a certain way to keep from jerking and twitching, then hope I could fall asleep.  This is not a cure all but sure has been a great help.  Melatonin is an over the counter (OTC) and does not require a doctors prescription.

Mary you mentioned pain.  I find if I follow the rules for a person with PPS and don't over use what I have, I reduce the pain most of the time.  For me after several falls on my knees years ago (under Workers Comp) I took Celebrex.  The doctor also had me on high doses of Glucosamine and Chondroitin.  I use just the Glucosamine and Chondroitin exclusively to manage the pain in my knee joints.  For me it works and no side affect which I had using Celebex.

The spasms I have during the day cease when I,m in bed/lying down . When there is  no pressure on my right [affected] side.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Spread the word about PolioToday.org

Post a flyer: You can let others know about PolioToday.org by downloading this flyer and posting it on a local bulletin board and/or bringing it to your local PPS support group.

Invite your friends: You can easily send out email invitations to join PolioToday.org

© 2018   Created by Salk Institute.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service