Hello to anyone who is reading this ......

I have just found this website and my question to other members is have any of you had surgery to your knee not due to the polio but for wear and tear?

I wont bore you with the long protracted story but 2 years on since visiting my GP with excrutiating pain in my knee they have discovered (via my request for an MRI scan) that the cartlidge is worn away on the left side of my left knee, there is swelling and a possible fracture.

I saw the head poncho but came away not knowing whether to have the key hole surgery or not.  He didn't seem to think that having had polio will make any difference to surgery or recovery, and yet web sites say different.

I think I am going to ask for a second opinion and wondered if any of you have had and surgery recently, whether it worked for you or if you know of a surgeon.

Hope to hear from you

Toni

Views: 2078

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had knee replacement surgery last May on my non=polio leg. it had bothered me for years and to relive the pain I was getting steroid shots in the knee. Not until I had an MRI did the real damage show up. I had wear and tear but also very very arthritic. My bones were crumbling. Anyway I would agree with you to get another opinion if you are not pleased with whomever you are seeing. I must say the surgery for my complete knee went very well. The recovery is long. I am still doing some PT. But the overall result was wonderful. The chronic pain has subsided. I am standing straighter; less pain; and more ability to ride my trike; do Pilates and Yoga; cook meals; housework. so overall my experience was terrific. I went to a group that specializes in joint replacement. Good luck in whatever you do. I must say my surgeon was overwhelmed by my recovery and how easely I adapted to the routine PT. Even the PT's were astonished at how well, and determined I was to recoup. Well us PPS'ERS Do have determination and work hard at keeping well.
I had 3 operations in 2003, and another in 2005. I have read of polios having trouble recovering from surgery, but I recover very fast. However I did have trouble with the aneasethist who insisted that I have a muscle relaxant, and full aneasethic for each operation. Were I to have non urgent surgery in the future, I would shop around for a better aneasethtist.
Good luck
I failed to mention that When I came out of surgery and was regaining awareness that my whole right side, polio affected, was numb. I told dr that I wanted to be off pain killers because I could not feel anything on right side. I was scared to say the least because my Polio Doctor said that surgeries requiring complete anatheisa has shown that PPSER'S do have adverse reactions. He did not ok my surgery. I worked with the orthopedic doctors and felt they listened and understood. Also it was a huge bit of information that they learned this from a PPSER. They had no awareness of adverse affect,
Toni,
I had the knee in my good leg replaced 20 years ago. It was 44 years after I had the polio at age 13. I had had arthoscopic surgery on the knee four years prior, but it didn't last. My doctor said that when I was adjusting the way I lived to accomodate the bad knee, it was time for the surgery.

The surgery went well and I was in rehab for about 4-5 months, but I recovered well to lead a normal life. I have thought now, many times, that if I had to have the knee replaced today, my polio leg, following the onset of pps, would be next to useless. I depended on the new knee picking up the burden sooner than it was recommended, but I had a greater trust in it and it's been a "good leg" over the years. Do your homework and the sooner you have it done, the better.

When people comment on my limping, my wife always explains that I had a knee replacement, (still) not realizing that if I had not had it done, I would be immobile.

Good luck,
Norm
DITTO Mary! I am pro-active with my health and well-being. I truly believe that the power of mind/body is so important for all beings.
I use meditation with my working with others and can only do that if I too live with my awareness of body/mind. My Doctors are amazed at how I am able to KEEP UP with the adjustments needed to continue to be mobile and alert.
The keyhole surgery itself is the least invasive sort of surgery you can have. I know many sportsmen who have had it, including my son, and have not heard any contra indications or complications.
Am sure if you ask around friends who run or play football or other sports, especially where the knee becomes twisted during landing (racquet sports/basketball) you'll come across people who've had it done.
For a polio sufferer: choose least invasive surgery you can, and if possible opt out of a general anaesthetic. This can stay in your system for up to three weeks, and your body will be dealing with trauma from the op anyway. Remember that ealry recovery will be quick, but may plateau out and be slow to complete - lengthening the amount of physio you will need to do considerably. This is not for sure, but a distinct possibility. Your recovery is also complicated by the degree of PPS you have - I had a leg shortened some 15 years ago. It was the good one, apparently not polio affected. It has never fully recovered its muscle tone. But I have pps very badly and have had it for 40 years now.
You are entitled to a second opinion. There are african doctors about who are familiar with polio - not sure how one finds them, but ask and keep asking, the other medical staff should know.

Hope this helps decision making
best wishes
Val
I certainly do not have a medical background, but from what I have gathered from reading many posts from those with PPS is that i is important to decide if you have a knee replacement on a polio leg that the doctor determine, if you have enough muscle strength in your knee to make the knee replacement work. If it is a non-poilio leg then it is just important that they monitor you closely after anesthesia. I have read that it is also a good thing to determine, if you have severe osteoporosis or not in your legs. which also needs to be considered

Just a followup on the subject.

It has now been 22 years and I've found that I will have to have the replacement replaced; in August if it's not delayed again.

An item of interest, and an alert for everyone: about two years ago I started using a cane because of my bad right polio leg. I found it amusing telling people that I use the cane in the wrong hand (my right). I would explain that normally the cane is used on the side opposite the weak leg. I would go on to explain that my reason was that with the weak right leg I was always concerned about losing my balance to that side, as I did not have the strength to recover. So I would use the cane in my right hand to keep me "trimmed" against falling that way.

When I first started using it, I noticed that I put very little weight on the cane, only enough to trim my walking path to straight ahead. Over those two years, I did notice I was starting to put more weight on the cane. WHAT I DID NOT NOTICE WAS> that as my good left leg (knee relpacement leg) was going bad, using the cane in the right hand was CORRECT for a bad left leg. ...In effect, using the cane in the "wrong" hand was MASKING my good leg going bad. In this last year (as it was going bad) I have been putting more demand on my polio leg, beyond what the PPS muscles could handle and I'm sure causing damage. I'm hoping that once the knee is replaced I will not have lost too much strength in my polio muscles.
Norm

I had the keyhole, or "Scope", last November.  The knee feels perhaps "tighter", but did not help with the leg pain that is more than likely caused by PPS.  No MD here.  But, it seems that your knee might benefit from the procedure since your symptoms are much more distinctly due to the knee than mine were.  Mine was performed at an out patient surgery center.  Don't believe them if they say you might have local anesthesia.  It's almost a certainty that it will be a "general".  The whole process takes about half a day.  It takes about three weeks to get going again.

As you may note that was almost a year ago and it went well. I had it scoped before my first knee replacement to clean out chips and scrape off cartilage for new cartilage to grow back. That lasted about three to four years before I had the first knee replacement. I was 58 then and everything went well. IT WAS WELL WORTH DOING. I expected difficulty having the replacement at 80 as I had lost a lot of strength in both legs, my other leg from PPS. This time, after the operation, I had new pains in the polio leg from what I attributed to polio on what I considered a long down hill slope.

I was able to get some physical therapy and they were good to follow my lead in not overdoing physical exercise on polio muscles. The last therapist in fact treated me for strengthening my back and NOT the polio muscles. I found about two months later that my "polio" pains disappeared and I'm doing far better than I expected.

Anyway, after worring whether it was right to replace the knee again, and only risk having more problems and possibly never recovering, I am surprised that with my good leg the new knee is far better than I thought and it has eased the load on my polio leg. The pains I was experiencing has disappeared.

On the other hand, all this may just be a crap shoot?

Good luck,

Norm

I have just located these posts on knee replacement and I must say I really appreciate people's comments as I have surgery coming up and I was nervous about the the out come.  I do feel more comfortable going forward with it now as it seems most have had favorable outcomes. Thank you.

Do note that there's a big difference between orthoscopic "keyhole" surgery to "clean up" the joint and total knee replacement (with a few other variations in-between).  Total knee replacement is fairly major surgery.

Make sure you understand what you're getting.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Spread the word about PolioToday.org

Post a flyer: You can let others know about PolioToday.org by downloading this flyer and posting it on a local bulletin board and/or bringing it to your local PPS support group.

Invite your friends: You can easily send out email invitations to join PolioToday.org

© 2017   Created by Salk Institute.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service